Affordable, Beautiful, Comfortable Design

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Slip into Something More Neutral

Hello All!

I apologize for the long gap between posts.  We have had a crazy fall, though I am beginning to think that my life in general is just crazy. We have had multiple house guests, a Halloween party, a wedding in Memphis and school projects all before the Holidays even start! Anyway, I will promise to be better.

Lately in my few moments of relaxation, I keep staring at a big fat mistake sitting in my leaving room.  My Crate and Barrel Bayside Sleeper Sofa.  No no, it's not the sofa itself.  I LOVE this sofa.  It has a great contemporary traditional shape and it is SO comfortable. It is great to nap on and snuggle with my Sophie!  I just regret the fabric choice, really really regret it.  I remember ordering the sofa thinking "I need to get something different.  I always make the safe choice.  I need to take a chance!"  WRONG, wrong and wrong.  I picked a white and royal blue stripped fabric. See photo below.


It's fine. I do like it. But now three years later, I want a different look to our new condo and this sofa fabric makes it impossible to do that.  I wish I knew then what I know now: when buying big substantial pieces of furniture, buy classic neutral pieces.  You can add the color, trends, fads and risks in the pillows, throws, accessories etc.

However, I have found a GREAT resolution to my problem: Replacement Slipcover Outlet! The website is http://www.replacementslipcoveroutlet.com.  They have custom slipcovers for sofas from various retailers such as Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and more.  The Bayside slipcover from RSO is $600, and I know the Bayside slipcover directly from Crate is $900 or more.  You potentially could find a local upholsterer to do it for close to $600 (maybe), but with this website you pick your fabric and they send it right to you.  There is no scheduling someone to measure it.  There is no hassle.   

I am going to order my slipcover soon (in a neutral or course) for Christmas, so I will post an update on how I thought the overall process went and what the end result looks like. 

I think this is also a good example of how you really don't have to live with your design mistakes!  There are always options, especially with reupholstering.  Hopefully, a website like Replacement Slipcover Outlet can help make that process easier!  

Stay tuned for my new custom bench I am working on!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh !! this sofa looks so comfortable !!! simply loved it !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning !!! i would love to have one of this kind at my home!!!

    ReplyDelete